Thursday, July 31, 2014

Trip and Arrival

The thought of moving to the most remote place in the world called "Polynesia," not having the four seasons, and just overall now knowing what to expect can be both exciting and quite intimidating. So, buying a one-way ticket to Honolulu seemed somewhat surreal, but the flying experience turned out to be one of the best I had ever had. Virgin America delivered me safely to Los Angeles, whereas Hawaiian Airlines took me across the Pacific to Honolulu. It was my first time using these two airline companies, and they both exceeded my expectations, especially in terms of their in-flight service. Virgin America's A320 was perhaps the most comfortable plane I had ever flown, and their entertainment system was simply fantastic and kept me busy throughout the flight. Hawaiian Airlines, on the other hand, is the only airline company in the USA that still provides complimentary dinners. The 5-and-a-half-hour flight in Airbus A330 from LA to Honolulu was so smooth and enjoyable that I even managed to take a nap. I particularly enjoyed the blueish light in the cabin that definitely had a pacifying effect on typically agitated-during-the-flight me. Hey, Delta and United, you have a lot to learn and catch up with!

After landing safely in Honolulu when it was already dark (and after spending the past 20-something hours traveling), I was greeted by my new director, his friend, and a lei, which is a wreath of fresh flowers that, according to Wikipedia, symbolizes affection in Hawaiian culture. What a nice welcome to my new home!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it there in one piece, amigo! Great to hear about the lei welcome.

    --Anonymous internet fan in New Haven, CT

    ReplyDelete